Skip to main content

Anja' 9th birthday

On April 4th, we celebrated Anja's 9th birthday.  My parents drove into town this week because Elijah is receiving the sacrament of Confirmation this weekend, so they were here to celebrate with us.  Because her birthday always falls so close to Easter, it often ends up that her grandparents are here for her birthday.  She has a tradition of asking my mom to make lasagna for dinner.

Unfortunately, I was hit with a cold on Sunday and it was a brutal one.  It's Friday now and I'm still struggling to function.  There's not much I can take for relief because of the pregnancy, but I did go to an urgent care doctor and he did prescribe a couple of things.  Mostly though, I am unable to do much of anything but rest until it passes.

Needless to say, her birthday was kept very low-key due to my sickness.  The morning of, my mom and I went to the dollar store and bought a few decorations.  Everything was pink, just like she asked for.  The day before I had picked up a chocolate cake at Costco while grocery shopping.  My mom made the lasagna for dinner.  She had a few gifts to open: shoes, a watch, two movies, and a book.






If you haven't tried this triple chocolate cake from Costco, I highly recommend it.  It's a huge cake for only $16 and it is delicious.  It is better than (and bigger than) any sheet cake I've ever tasted, and it feeds a LOT of people for a cheap price.  It's perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  This is not a sponsored ad, I just really like chocolate cake!





Anja's birthday always brings back memories of the day she was born and the roller coaster we went through with her health for so many years.  But now she is doing so much better, it's sometimes hard to believe everything she has been through. No ventilator, no oxygen, no g-tube, no trach, no more therapies, no walker.  She overcame every obstacle and lives a relatively normal life now, although she still has trouble walking far distances sometimes.

She's wrapping up the 2nd grade at her new school where she has thrived all year long.  She knows everybody's name, and everybody knows her.  She is a complete social butterfly, but she's a good student, too.  Her grades this year have stunned both my husband and I, since homeschooling had been such a struggle for us.  We were literally getting no where with her at home, but this school was exactly what she needed to flourish.  If you ask her what her favorite subject is, she will tell you: "That's easy, math!"  She loves her teacher, Sister Madeleine, so much that she also wants to be a "teaching nun" when she grows up.



After Anja's annually requested lasagna dinner, she dove into her presents before we cut the cake.





It was such a treat for Anja to have her grandparents here for her birthday.  It made the day very special for her, which probably would of otherwise been pretty dull since I was too sick to really do anything!


Comments