Skip to main content

Third Week of Casting

This morning Anja went in for her third casting.  That means we only have one more casting next week before the big surgery.

Life with a child in casts has been surprisingly okay.  I didn't know what to expect, so I had no expectations going into it.  I thought she might be angry about not being able to walk, but if she is then she doesn't let it show.  I thought she might get frustrated needing constant assistance, but she is mostly patient as she waits for help and I haven't heard her complain.  I thought she would be completely immobile, but she actually does manage to scoot around.  Yesterday I thought she was brushing her teeth but when I walked into the bathroom I actually found her sitting up on her little potty chair, she had managed to hoist herself up there.  She possesses pretty amazing strength for being such a little thing. Sometimes when I start acting like a cranky pregnant woman in her third trimester, I just look at Anja and am humbled by how my five-year-old deals with her sufferings better than I do.

Last week when they were changing the casts, her foot got a little burnt from the saw.  It didn't seem bad so they casted it anyway.  This week, when they changed the cast, they found that the little burn had blistered.  That foot was left un-casted and the burn is being treated with some cream.  Once it heals, we'll resume casting of that foot.

first casting

loving her daddy

just hanging out

second week of casting

third week of casting

Despite the casts, we've been getting out quite a bit.  Last week my husband had a couple days off work for Veteran's Day and we took the opportunity to ride the ferry over to Whidbey Island.  It was the kid's first ferry ride and very exciting for them.  We spent the afternoon at Fort Casey State Park with some friends.  My husband was so good about pushing Anja's wheelchair wherever he could manage to get it so that she could experience as much as possible!



Comments