Skip to main content

February 2017: A Summary

February greeted us with an unusual snow day.  Our weather has been much colder than usual, and it's put a real cramp in our style.  I am simply not accustomed to cold weather and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. But since the backyard was wearing a beautiful coat of snow, I bundled the kids up and pushed them out the door.


What I'm Doing:
If I'm not mistaken, this is about the time that Isabelle came down with a rather unfortunate and very pesky stomach bug that kept us cooped up in the house for a couple of weeks.  Oddly enough, it didn't spread around to any other members of our family, but I wasn't about to risk sharing germs with our friends, so we just stayed home.  For a long time.

This was the same time that my husband was adjusting to his new job, which turned out to have very demanding hours.  It's already becoming a distant memory now, but the first couple weeks of February had me pinned on the couch underneath a miserable toddler that frequently exploded out of her diaper while my husband was working such insane hours that we never saw him.

It was exhausting, but I somehow devoted myself to my duties and kept up my responsibilities.  I continued exercising daily, reading, grocery shopping, cooking the meals, and cleaning the house.

By the third week of February, Isabelle was better and we were ready to emerge again into the world.  I decided to set us up a sort of weekly routine, so we could have certain things to look forward to during the week.  For example, I made Tuesday our weekly park day and Thursday our weekly library day.  Anja began both her first communion classes at the church as well as piano lessons, and I finally found a decent once-a-week daily Mass at a time that works for us (aka not the crack of dawn).

So I developed a sort of rhythm in our week.  

 Sunday - we go to Mass and Anja has class afterward.  
Monday - we take Anja to her piano lesson, then Isabelle has a swim lesson.  
Tuesday - we go to Adoration and Mass, then play at the park.  
Wednesday - I have my book club discussion and take Isabelle to swim lessons again.  
Thursday - we go to the library, returning our books and checking out some new ones.
Friday - we have a Catholic moms group.
Saturdays - I stay home and clean usually, but sometimes the kids have something going on.








What I'm Reading:
My book club is reading Catherine of Siena by Sigrid Undset.  This is easily one of the most fascinating biographies I have ever read, not to mention highly interesting for it's historical content regarding the church.  Catherine was simply incredible, and Undset's writing is a pure beauty (even translated.)  This book is art & poetry, theology and spirituality, yet historical too.  It touches on so many of my interests that I can hardly put it down sometimes.




I am also reading Different by Sally Clarkson.  I admire her patience and perspective in dealing with her "different" child. Lots of motherly wisdom here in cultivating a positive relationship with a child who seems to have a life mission of making that an impossible task.

With the kids: we finished Fellowship of the Ring and had a movie night watching the film adaptation.  I decided we would chew on James and the Giant Peach before we jump into The Two Towers. Tolkien's writing is so rich and deep, I thought our brains could use a rest.

James and the Giant Peach has to be one of my favorite read-alouds.  Silly and fun and exciting, we all laugh so much.





You know what I am currently interested in?  House plants.  I don't know why, but I just suddenly fell in love with pretty green potted things.  I've been reading about them very carefully and slowly bringing them into our home.  I want to learn all about them and fill the house with plants.







What I'm Teaching:
Our break from school continued through February.  I am all about out-sourcing right now.  I am more than willing to pay for classes to keep the kids busy and learning.  So we're doing piano and swimming and archery and art and cooking classes.  Sometimes they do sit down at the table and work out of books, but mostly we are out and about exploring this wide world for ourselves.





What I'm Thinking:
I'm thinking about Lent, this sacred season of the church so rich with mystery.

I'm thinking about forgiveness, mercy, and charity.  

I'm thinking about detachment.  

I'm thinking so, so much about the distractions of this world that have me all caught up, the things I'm inordinately attached to, the things that I just can't turn myself away from.

I'm thinking of how much vice I need to overcome, and how much virtue I need to cultivate.

I'm thinking about God's will.  About emptying myself to make room for God.

I'm thinking about the people in my life - the few people that I can reach in this wide, wide world - and what God wants me to be for these people.

And finally, I am thinking about prayer.  How powerful it is, and yet how little I turn to it.  I set up a special spot in my bedroom to pray.  Hopefully, as I fast from my inordinate attachments during this Lenten season, I will pour my time into this space instead.




To keep the law is a great oblation,
and he who observes the 
commandments sacrifices a peace offering.

In works of charity one offers fine flour,
and when he gives alms he presents his sacrifice of praise.

To refrain from evil pleases the LORD,
and to avoid injustice is an atonement.

Appear not before the LORD empty-handed,
for all that you offer is in fulfillment of the precepts.

The just one's offering enriches the altar
and rises as a sweet odor before the Most High.

The just one's sacrifice is most pleasing,
nor will it ever be forgotten.

In a generous spirit pay homage to the LORD,
be not sparing of freewill gifts.

With each contribution show a cheerful countenance,
and pay your tithes in a spirit of joy.

Give to the Most High as he has given to you,
generously, according to your means.

For the LORD is one who always repays,

and he will give back to you sevenfold.



But offer no bribes, these he does not accept!

Trust not in sacrifice of the fruits of extortion.

For he is a God of justice,
who knows no favorites.


- Sir 35: 1-12



Comments